Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ten Great Western Novels (top 10 best of list)

My friend and co-editor of Living After Midnight: Hard and Heavy Stories, David T. Wilbanks, asked for recommendations of some good Western novels. Here's the list I gave him. They're in no particular order (except the order in which I thought of them).

I was rather pleased with what I came up with, so I thought I'd share it here. There will surely be contention with some of my choices, but I greatly enjoyed them all, and I think they display the genre's breadth of possibilities.

Another fantastic book, which takes place in the West in the early 1900s (and thus isn't a traditional "Western"), is The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner.

8 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I've read many excellent westerns over the years but I would have to say that my favorite would be LONESOME DOVE by Larry McMurtry.

Steve M said...

Some great choices in there (I've not read all those listed so can't say all LOL). Covers a good range of styles.

Craig Clarke said...

Walker - Thanks for your input. Lonesome Dove wasn't eligible for this particular list, since Dave had already read it. :)

Steve - Thanks for the compliment. Even I was surprised at the breadth of styles covered in this selection. Though I shouldn't've been since I've told others that the Western is really just a particular setting, and nearly any story can be told there.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Fine Western novels, especially SHANE, though there are quite a few I haven't read. I would have thrown in a few by Oliver Strange, Louis L'amour and Zane Grey.

KentAllard said...

I've only read three of these, so I've got some catching up to do.

Craig Clarke said...

There are so many, one could never catch up. I just try to keep introducing myself to new ones.

Merritt said...

Check out The Trail by M L Dunn, rumor has it its being looked at for a movie

Craig Clarke said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Since it's free today for the Kindle, I downloaded it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails